Report- Annapurna Interactive’s baffling staff exodus caused by shifting resources, leadership clashes

Two weeks after all of Annapurna Interactive's staff suddenly resigned, new information has surfaced about events that seemingly led to the mass exodus.

A recent report from IGN claims the film studio's game division became fractured by strife within upper management, unfulfilled deals, and overall distrust in co-founder Megan Ellison.

Annapurna Interactive started in 2016 by Ellison as an extension of Annapurna Productions. Since then, it has released critical and financial successes like What Remains of Edith Finch and Stray.

Initially, Interactive was run by Nathan Gary, who then oversaw both Annapurna Pictures and Interactive. An Annapurna spokesperson told IGN the company became "refocused" toward games during his time running both divisions.

According to the outlet, Interactive co-founder James Masi was suddenly let go in mid-March. By this point, Ellison was overseeing Pictures after she'd disappeared for several years, with sources at the time alleging she would play "mind games" with staff and had several "explosive incidents."

With Masi's exit, Gary was reinstalled as the Interactive head, only to leave shortly thereafter. Annapurna told IGN he chose to leave, but other sources speaking with the outlet alleged he was fired alongside Masi.

Interactive staff believed the pair were fired without warning, which reportedly led to "confusion and fury." Several employees, including a team leader, resigned in protest.

The straws that broke Annapurna Interactive's back

IGN reports that after a call between Ellison and the remaining Interactive team, all of the recently departed staff, including Gary and Masi, returned. Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

The pair were then reportedly set to head up a spinoff company called Verset. As IGN describes it, this new company would oversee all of Interactive's already-signed projects, and be free to make its own separate deals.

Ownership would've been split between between it and Annapurna's leaders, and the entire Interactive staff was set to to migrate over to Verset.

Instead, Hector Sanchez (an ex-Interactive leader who departed in 2019) was brought on to be Annapurna's new interactive and new media president. Under him, Annapurna Interactive would handle the triple and double-A side of games, while Verset would handle indies.

IGN notes Sanchez was also set to lead potential transmedia efforts, like Pictures' recent deal with Remedy and its franchises Control and Alan Wake. Interactive staff were reportedly unaware of this deal until the morning it was announced.

Employees became further confused and upset when Ellison reportedly said Verset discussions had "stalled out." Annapurna insisted to IGN that Gary never gave feedback on legal drafts, and later pushed back against the idea it had backtracked on the deal.

After the Verset deal fell through, several sources told IGN Ellison became more involved in Interactive's deals, projects, and budgets, much to their concern.

At the end of August, the 25-person Annapurna Interactive team signed a joint resignation letter, then left on September 6. Sources also told IGN that before the exodus, staff tried bringing alternate solutions (like Verset) to Ellison, but she had no interest.

Meanwhile, developers working with Interactive were reportedly unaware departures were happening until one or two days prior. Annapurna told IGN it had "no time" to contact everyone, while other sources argued there was "no guidance" on who to contact (or when and how).

At time of writing, Verset has a small website, which IGN believes is an indicator the now ex-Interactive staff are starting the venture on their own. After speaking with Sanchez, Interactive partners reportedly feel "confident" (but still confused and frustrated) their obligations will be fulfilled.

Currently, Annapurna is hiring to backfill the vacated positions, and working with outside agencies for further help. The company also affirmed it will continue developing its first in-house project, Blade Runner 2033: Labyrinth.

A spokesperson for the company told IGN it's "focused on moving forward. […] If our inbox is any indication, a ton of developers continue to want to be a part of what we're building, and we look forward to seeing their pitches."

But they were also blunt in saying the entire situation was "a baffler."

IGN's full report on Annapurna Interactive's collapse can be read here.

Related Posts

PSX 2015- Sony celebrates its fans and its (large) lineup

I feel like I could re-run last year's editorial on the PlayStation Experience keynote, minus the bits about how it was a bold decision for the company to throw its own event (it's a still a smart one, but now it's not new.)

This year's PlayStation Experience keynote presentation saw the company blasting through game announcements left and right; it was like last year, but more so. Sony's presentation was peppy, full of games, and fully fan-oriented.

As in Las Vegas in 2014, so in San Francisco in 2015 — the company has the stage to itself (quite literally, as compared to an event like E3 or Gamescom) so there was no posturing. It was figuratively true, too — at l…

Ruckus Games raises $19 million in funding for debut title, ‘Project Bobcat’

Indie developer Ruckus Games recently secured $19 million in funding for its unannounced debut project. Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

Two years ago, the studio secured $5.5 million in a round led by Transcend Fund to build its "high-quality prototype." This new round was led by Krafton, with additional contributions from Transcend, BitKraft, and Hypergryph.

In its statement, Ruckus highlighted that prototype as proof its development costs "remain much lower than triple-A, while the team still delivers that same level of quality and fun of titles with exponentially bigger budgets."

Spe…

Get started with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on Xbox Series X

Presented by Dolby

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced that the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S would be the first consoles to support both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.  This is exciting news, for the first-time, developers can deliver the full range of depth of content as it was created in the studio. Higher dynamic range, and deeper immersion brings full authenticity to the games we'll see in these next-generation consoles.

A quick review for those of you not familiar with Dolby Atmos, it’s a spatial audio technology that places the sounds of the game all around you with three-dimensional precision, overhead, behind and below.  Come from

Reminder- GDC Europe online registration closes today

With GDC Europe 2015 less than a week away and the session schedule finalized, conference officials have taken the liberty of highlighting a collection of can't-miss sessions for the event.

Online registration for GDC Europe 2015 will close today, July 29th at 23:59 PM ET. If you miss your chance to register online before the window closes, you'll have to pay extra to register onsite.

GDC Europe will take place next Monday and Tuesday, August 3rd and 4th at the Cologne Congress-Centrum Ost in Cologne, Germany — just ahead of (and co-located with) the massive gamescom trade fair, with all GDC Europe passes also guaranteeing entrance to gamescom.

These 15 games will be playable in the Indie Megabooth Showcase at GDC 2016

The 2016 Game Developers Conference is just around the corner, and today organizers would like to let you know two things: Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

1. Passes are still available, so get yours now!

2. The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase is back at GDC for the third year running, and today we have the full list of games that will be playable in the MEGABOOTH by all GDC passholders (from Expo to All-Access) at various points during the March 14th-18th week of GDC 2016.

The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase is a collection of independent developers banding together to show off the l…

Report- Xbox Entertainment Studios is no more

Hollywood trade magazine Variety reports that Xbox Entertainment Studios, the arm of the company which was developing programs based on its game lineup and original shows featuring TV stars, is no more. According to Variety, former CBS exec Nancy Tellem and the rest of her team have been let go, despite an expectation that they'd have the rest of the year to finalize the fate of the studio's projects Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches . Tellem was hired in 2012 to helm the division; the company made the decision to wind down Xbox Entertainment Studios after Satya Nadella became the company's new CEO and re-focused …