Skullgirls dev Hidden Variable sues Autumn Games, alleges $1.2M in unpaid work

Developer Hidden Variable said it's "no longer involved" with the Skullgirls franchise after it filed a lawsuit against publisher Autumn Games.

The suit alleges Autumn owes Hidden Variable $1.2 million in payments for its work on Skullgirls Mobile and the 2015 game Skullgirls 2nd Encore. Hidden Variable claimed Autumn was supposed to begin paying in late 2024, but failed to settle these accounts as of January 21, 2025. After that date, the studio gave Autumn "all of the account login information required to continue providing community support for the game […] so as not to cause damage to the game."

"From December 2014 through approximately October 2024, Plaintiff and Autumn had a successful business relationship," the suit reads. "Plaintiff fully performed its obligations under the Twelfth Amendment through January 21, 2025. […] Despite plaintiff's performance and its agreement to do so, Autumn failed and/or refused to fully compensate plaintiff for the services plaintiff performed in accordance with the Twelfth Amendment."

In a public statement, Hidden Variable said it was "incredibly proud of the 10+ years we've invested in Skullgirls in all its forms. […] Most of all, we're grateful to have been able to celebrate and support the incomparable Skullgirls community. Thank you all for everything—you deserve nothing but the best."

Autumn Games' Jason Donnell later published a statement saying the company was "making changes." While it did not directly address Hidden Variable's suit, Autumn's statement underlined its commitment to "stepping in to reinvest" in Skullgirls. "It's here to stay, and we are fully committed to building its future." Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

The saga of Skullgirls

Reverge Labs, which later reformed as Lab Zero Games, originally released Skullgirls in 2012, and things have been turbulent for the fighting game since then.

In 2020, players and former employees accused Lab Zero designer Mike Zaimont of abuse. Several developers made individual statements against Zaimont, whose behavior was subsequently denounced by Hidden Variable and Autumn. Zaimont later fired all remaining Lab Zero employees, leading several to establish new studio, Future Club.

Skullgirls Mobile was developed entirely by Hidden Variable, which teamed with Future Club on 2nd Encore DLC. Both games have received concurrent, ongoing support.

Hidden Variable said it will not comment on its suit against Autumn Games while it is ongoing.

Related Posts

PSX 2015- Sony celebrates its fans and its (large) lineup

I feel like I could re-run last year's editorial on the PlayStation Experience keynote, minus the bits about how it was a bold decision for the company to throw its own event (it's a still a smart one, but now it's not new.)

This year's PlayStation Experience keynote presentation saw the company blasting through game announcements left and right; it was like last year, but more so. Sony's presentation was peppy, full of games, and fully fan-oriented.

As in Las Vegas in 2014, so in San Francisco in 2015 — the company has the stage to itself (quite literally, as compared to an event like E3 or Gamescom) so there was no posturing. It was figuratively true, too — at l…

Ruckus Games raises $19 million in funding for debut title, ‘Project Bobcat’

Indie developer Ruckus Games recently secured $19 million in funding for its unannounced debut project. Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

Two years ago, the studio secured $5.5 million in a round led by Transcend Fund to build its "high-quality prototype." This new round was led by Krafton, with additional contributions from Transcend, BitKraft, and Hypergryph.

In its statement, Ruckus highlighted that prototype as proof its development costs "remain much lower than triple-A, while the team still delivers that same level of quality and fun of titles with exponentially bigger budgets."

Spe…

Get started with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on Xbox Series X

Presented by Dolby

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced that the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S would be the first consoles to support both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.  This is exciting news, for the first-time, developers can deliver the full range of depth of content as it was created in the studio. Higher dynamic range, and deeper immersion brings full authenticity to the games we'll see in these next-generation consoles.

A quick review for those of you not familiar with Dolby Atmos, it’s a spatial audio technology that places the sounds of the game all around you with three-dimensional precision, overhead, behind and below.  Come from

These 15 games will be playable in the Indie Megabooth Showcase at GDC 2016

The 2016 Game Developers Conference is just around the corner, and today organizers would like to let you know two things: Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

1. Passes are still available, so get yours now!

2. The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase is back at GDC for the third year running, and today we have the full list of games that will be playable in the MEGABOOTH by all GDC passholders (from Expo to All-Access) at various points during the March 14th-18th week of GDC 2016.

The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase is a collection of independent developers banding together to show off the l…

Reminder- GDC Europe online registration closes today

With GDC Europe 2015 less than a week away and the session schedule finalized, conference officials have taken the liberty of highlighting a collection of can't-miss sessions for the event.

Online registration for GDC Europe 2015 will close today, July 29th at 23:59 PM ET. If you miss your chance to register online before the window closes, you'll have to pay extra to register onsite.

GDC Europe will take place next Monday and Tuesday, August 3rd and 4th at the Cologne Congress-Centrum Ost in Cologne, Germany — just ahead of (and co-located with) the massive gamescom trade fair, with all GDC Europe passes also guaranteeing entrance to gamescom.

Report- Xbox Entertainment Studios is no more

Hollywood trade magazine Variety reports that Xbox Entertainment Studios, the arm of the company which was developing programs based on its game lineup and original shows featuring TV stars, is no more. According to Variety, former CBS exec Nancy Tellem and the rest of her team have been let go, despite an expectation that they'd have the rest of the year to finalize the fate of the studio's projects Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches . Tellem was hired in 2012 to helm the division; the company made the decision to wind down Xbox Entertainment Studios after Satya Nadella became the company's new CEO and re-focused …