Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has issued a letter to employees addressing the lawsuit brought against the company by the state of California that alleges widespread harassment, discrimination, and a “frat boy” culture at the gaming giant. In the letter to staff, he called the initial response from Activision Blizzard “tone deaf,” and promised changes. “It is imperative that we acknowledge all perspectives and experiences and respect the feelings of those who have been mistreated in any way,” Kotick’s letter read. “I am sorry that we did not provide the right empathy and understanding.”
Activision Blizzard’s initial response called the lawsuit “distorted, and in many cases false,” and was widely condemned by staff who saw the response as downplaying legitimate issues at the company. Over 1000 current and former employees at the company signed an open letter that condemned the company’s initial response to the lawsuit, with current employees also planning a walkout on Wednesday as a protest. Activision’s share price has taken a hit since the walkout was announced, plunging from around $90 a share on July 26 to $82.38 on the 27th.
The letter promises five immediate changes within the company, including adding more staff and support to its human resources team, and implementing “listening spaces” moderated by third parties for staff to share ideas for improvement. Another list item reiterates that diverse hiring practices are mandatory for all open positions–though this policy was already in place earlier this year.
The letter also said that leaders and management across the company were being evaluated, with anyone found to have “impeded the integrity of our processes for evaluating claims and imposing appropriate consequences,” to have their employment terminated Come from online casino bangladesh . Kotick also said that some “inappropriate” in-game content would be removed, though did not specify what content or games would be modified.
The employees behind Wednesday’s walkout have their own list of demands, including an end to mandatory arbitration clauses, new recruiting and hiring policies that improve diversity, and making compensation for employees public.
In response to Activision Blizzard CEO’s statement and the company’s previous statement, organizers of the walkout staged at Blizzard Entertainment’s headquarters said Activision Blizzard leadership “fail[ed] to address critical elements at the heart of employee concerns.”
In a statement shared with Axios, the organizers said they were pleased to see that their stance had “convinced leadership to change the tone of their communications,” but reiterated their demands that they said were not addressed by Kotick’s comments.
Related Posts
I feel like I could re-run last year's editorial on the PlayStation Experience keynote, minus the bits about how it was a bold decision for the company to throw its own event (it's a still a smart one, but now it's not new.)
This year's PlayStation Experience keynote presentation saw the company blasting through game announcements left and right; it was like last year, but more so. Sony's presentation was peppy, full of games, and fully fan-oriented.
As in Las Vegas in 2014, so in San Francisco in 2015 — the company has the stage to itself (quite literally, as compared to an event like E3 or Gamescom) so there was no posturing. It was figuratively true, too — at l…
Indie developer Ruckus Games recently secured $19 million in funding for its unannounced debut project. Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches
Two years ago, the studio secured $5.5 million in a round led by Transcend Fund to build its "high-quality prototype." This new round was led by Krafton, with additional contributions from Transcend, BitKraft, and Hypergryph.
In its statement, Ruckus highlighted that prototype as proof its development costs "remain much lower than triple-A, while the team still delivers that same level of quality and fun of titles with exponentially bigger budgets."
Spe…
Presented by Dolby
Earlier this month, Microsoft announced that the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S would be the first consoles to support both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. This is exciting news, for the first-time, developers can deliver the full range of depth of content as it was created in the studio. Higher dynamic range, and deeper immersion brings full authenticity to the games we'll see in these next-generation consoles.
A quick review for those of you not familiar with Dolby Atmos, it’s a spatial audio technology that places the sounds of the game all around you with three-dimensional precision, overhead, behind and below. Come from
The 2016 Game Developers Conference is just around the corner, and today organizers would like to let you know two things: Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches
1. Passes are still available, so get yours now!
2. The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase is back at GDC for the third year running, and today we have the full list of games that will be playable in the MEGABOOTH by all GDC passholders (from Expo to All-Access) at various points during the March 14th-18th week of GDC 2016.
The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase is a collection of independent developers banding together to show off the l…
With GDC Europe 2015 less than a week away and the session schedule finalized, conference officials have taken the liberty of highlighting a collection of can't-miss sessions for the event.
Online registration for GDC Europe 2015 will close today, July 29th at 23:59 PM ET. If you miss your chance to register online before the window closes, you'll have to pay extra to register onsite.
GDC Europe will take place next Monday and Tuesday, August 3rd and 4th at the Cologne Congress-Centrum Ost in Cologne, Germany — just ahead of (and co-located with) the massive gamescom trade fair, with all GDC Europe passes also guaranteeing entrance to gamescom.…
Hollywood trade magazine Variety reports that Xbox Entertainment Studios, the arm of the company which was developing programs based on its game lineup and original shows featuring TV stars, is no more. According to Variety, former CBS exec Nancy Tellem and the rest of her team have been let go, despite an expectation that they'd have the rest of the year to finalize the fate of the studio's projects Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches . Tellem was hired in 2012 to helm the division; the company made the decision to wind down Xbox Entertainment Studios after Satya Nadella became the company's new CEO and re-focused …